Tell us a bit about your self, who is Simone Ghera?
I am an Architect and Dance photographer based in Roma and Berlin (both places at this time). I am involved in photography since ever and I started to work in a specific project in 2008 (in London), that I named DANCER INSIDE; the reason of this name is because I have a great interest in the dancers as persons and not on the professional side, I try always to get very close to the person. This project is basically dedicated to Dance and Architecture;
Where is home?
My home is everywhere I feel home, and that happen in several places around the world, as Madrid, Berlin, London, Paris and New York. And Roma of course;
How did you develop an interest in photography?
I was following my father when very young and started to discover photography, I was fascinated to see how you can build an image, and always obsessed on how to use the light and feel the frame;
What equipment do you prefer to use?
I use a very simple equipment. I literally hate to bring big stuff, tripods, lights etc. etc. All this brings me away from my concentration. In need to be light and I never program what to do and where to shoot exactly. Improvisation is the main philosophy and I like to change at any time everything, location, dancer’s clothes, etc. The instinct is the only thing I follow constantly, everything you try to “prepare” can be very different from your expectations. All I need is very simple: my camera, and the dancer, that’s all;
Did you go to school to study photography?
Yes I did it lately, in 2007, to improve and learn more about digital photography. And of course to focus better on the use of light, which is everything;
How long have you been a photographer?
I always practiced photography, and in the last 8 years I start to work on this more deeply, but I never considered myself a real professional photographer. This is not a job for me, its just pleasure;
What or who got you started in photography?
As before ….. my father
How would you describe your style?
My style? Its difficult to describe your own work, its always better other person do it. But I can say what I do its something coming out from the pure instinct. This is my style. And I like very much when people tell me they recognize my images immediately, that is because inside those images you don’t see undefined technical skills, but you see me!
Is photography just a hobby or its work?
Absolutely an hobby! A very important hobby, I cannot imagine how difficult is to make a living with photography!!! And also I want to be totally free on the artistic side, what you cannot be 100% if you are a professional photographer. Too many compromises;
Biggest inspirations in your works outside photography.
Structures, constructions, geometric shapes made of buildings but also geometries created from the nature. And Light of course, which is driving everything you want to create;
photographers who inspire you?
Very few, but I prefer not to mention the names. Basically I believe the photographer is an artist and artists are very individualists. So what you do is something very personal, away from everybody else. But I must say that most of photographers for me are not artists, they focus their energies just to copy eachother ….. very boring;
Any website or blog your often visit about photography.
Not really, I go sometimes around the web, but I don’t spend that much time on it;
Do you market your photography and if yes how?
Yes but not so much. Too much effort and too small money. I sell photos at the exhibition, but that is a small thing, just to finance new prints;
Is there anybody or anything you would love to photograph?
I have many things in mind about the locations, but many times you find a great background and best locations in some “ordinary” places. And the same is for the dancers, you can get the best from someone apparently not so interesting.
This is what make photography a very special art: you can extract something extraordinary and strong emotions, from an ordinary realty;
What advice do you have for somebody who wants to pursue photography?
Learn to use light and follow your instinct;
I there Something you’re still learning?
Of course, I am learning many things every day, expecially about the persons I work with. This is very important. You need to know how to get what you want, leaving the dancer and the surrounding environment to arrive at that point you want, spontaneously;
What photographic ambitions you are seeking to achieve?
I have already achieved my photographic ambitions on the artistic side. I am free 100%.
My only aspiration now is to give maximum diffusion to my work, I would like to let as much people as possible to know my images, and tell me their opinions and emotions;
What would you like to be doing in 5 years from now?
The same I do now, nothing to add;
How much do you care for digital editing after you get the shot, cropping, colors and… ?
Totally against. One thing is to interpreting the realty you see, giving something of you. Another thing is to “make up” the images, changing the context and persons. In particular I find pathetic to “improve” a dancer’s body with photoshop. I like things as they are, no make up, no photoshop!
What is a recent project you have been working on and what inspired you?
Some of them. In particular I started to work with horses and dancers together. Very difficult but fascinating. Also I have a parallel work with pregnant dancers, also very interesting. Great emotions;
Many of your works are in black and white, can you give us some hints about your interests in doing that?
I just find out that BW is more interesting. Even seems a paradox, BW can describe much better the world than color do. And the human expressivity is much more intense, deep. In 2010 I went to New York in november, specifically because I wanted to shoot in the fall colors in Central Park. When I came back home and worked at the photos, I changed all in BW because I discovered that even a single leaf can express harmony and beauty much more in BW than color!!
Anything you might want to add ….
Many things to say ……. but I think its enough for now
Links And social contacts to follow and find Simone’s artworks and photographs:
Facebook: Simone Ghera
Instagram: @simone_ghera (most recent works)
Catalogue exhibition Berlin, august 2012 (PDF) download here:
Catalogue exhibition London, June 2013 (PDF) download here:
More about The project “DANCER INSIDE”:
It was shown in several exhibitions:
Roma, Galleria La Pigna, Palazzo del Vicariato (in center of Roma, inside the Vatican State) Personal exibition – January 24th 2011 to february 2nd 2011;
- 2. Madrid, Estay, Calle Hermosillo 14 (barrio Salamanca) Personal exibition
January 31st 2011 to february 19th 2011;
- Roma, Galleria La Pigna, Palazzo del Vicariato, Collective exhibition for the calendar of ITALIA-RUSSIA events 2011 – February 5th 2011 to 20 th 2011;
- Saint-Petersburg, Nonconformist Art Center PUSHKINSKAYA-10, Personal exhibition
July 2nd 2011 to August 31st 2011; this exhibition was supported from The Italian Institute of Culture in Saint-Petersburg;
- 5. Moscow, restaurant Isola Pinocchio and Hotel Radisson, Personal exhibition – October 13th to 30th2011;
- 6. Roma, “Torretta Valadier”, an historical site in the oldest bridge in Rome (roman bridge), managed from Municipality, Personal exhibition – November 2th 2011 to November 23rd 2011;
- 7. Roma, Centro Russo di Scienza e Cultura (Palazzo Santacroce XVI° century), Piazza Benedetto Cairoli n°6; Personal exhibition – March 2nd to 7th 2012;
- Tel Aviv, Gallery floor of Azrieli Center, Collective exhibition “The Swan Lake Project”- May 1thst 2012 till June 8th;
- Roma, Galleria La Pigna, Palazzo del Vicariato (Vatican State) , Collective exhibition “ Foto-Grafica-Mente” of “Gruppo Fotografi Creativi della Galleria La Pigna” – May 2nd to 12th, 2012;
- Saint-Petersburg, State Academic Capella gallery by Concert Hall – embankment of Moyka 20 (near Winter Palace of Hermitage) Personal exhibition – June 4th 2012 till end of June;
- Berlin, Französischer Dom (Gendarmenmarkt), Personal exhibition DANCER INSIDE BERLIN from August 22nd 2012 until February 16th 2013; this exhibition is supported from the Italian Institute of Culture in Berlin and other Italian and German Public Institutions (Staatlische Ballettschule Berlin);
- London, Russian Institute of Culture (Representative office of Rossotrudnichestvo), Personal exhibition “DANCER INSIDE LONDON” from June 18th to 23rd 2013; this exhibition is supported from the Italian Institute of Culture in London
- Rome, Acquario Romano (Casa dell’Architettura), Personal Exhibition “DANCER INSIDE ARCHITECTURE” from September 16th to 27th 2013;
- Paris, Carrousel du Louvre, 99 Rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris – Collective exhibition “Salon Internationale d’Art Contemporaine” from October 25th to 29th 2013; this exhibition is supported from the Italian Institute of Culture in Paris;
- Prague, Italian Cultural Institute in Prague – Personal exhibition “DANCER INSIDE PRAGUE”, May 5th 2014, to 15th; this exhibition/event is realized in collaboration wit The Czech National Ballet in Prague;
- Wien, Russian Cultural Institute (Russischeskulturinsitut Wien) – Personal exhibition “DANCER INSIDE WIEN” october 10th 2014 to 15th;
- Ciudad de Guatemala, Museo Ixchel del Traje Indigena – Collective exhibition “GUATEMALA ES GUATEMALA” November 26th 2014; this exhibition is supported from the Italian Cultural Institute;
- Baku, Museum of Modern Art – Personal exhibition “DANCER INSIDE BAKU” June 10th 2015 to June 30th 2015;
- Milano, Galleria Sabrina Falzone (during “MILANO EXPO 2015”) July 1st to 10th 2015 Personal exhibition “DANCER INSIDE MILANO”;
- Berlin, Second exhibition in the Französischer Dom (Gendarmenmarkt), as in 2012, Personal exhibition DANCER INSIDE BERLIN from August 28th 2015 until December 31st
- Rome, Chiostro del Bramante (Vicariato) – Personal exhibition (in loggiato and cafeteria spaces), September 7th to October 13th 2015;
- Rome, Brazilian Embassy in Rome – Personal exhibition “DANCER INSIDE BRAZIL” February 26th, 2016;
- Madrid, Public Library “Biblioteca Publica Manuel Alvar”, Personal exhibition in the library spaces, April 2nd 2016 to April 30 th;
- New York, Martha Graham School of Contemporary Dance, Personal exhibition in the top floor studio, June 12th, 2016;
- Roma, Villa Corsini (Teatro di Villa Pamphilj), Personal exhibition “DANCER INSIDE ROMA”,
September 23rd, 2016;
- Rome, Tri-Mission Art Gallery – U.S. Embassy in Rome, Italy, Personal exhibition, from March 1st 2017 to March 31st 2017
- Rio de Janeiro, Italian Cultural Institute, Personal exhibition, 2017 (dates to be confirmed);
- Sao Paulo, Museu da Imagem e do Som, Personal exhibition, 2017 (dates to be confirmed);
- Compania Nacional de Danza, Madrid 2009-2010;
- Ballet Nacional de Espana, Madrid 2010;
- Real Conservatorio Superior de Danza, Madrid 2010;
- Palucca Schule fur Tanz, Dresden 2010;
- Staatlische Ballettschule Berlin 2011-2014; on course
- Accademia Nazionale di Danza Rome 2011-2014; on course
- Fashion Recycle for Art, Rome 2012;
- Staatsballett Berlin 2012-2014; on course
- Scuola di Ballo Accademia Teatro alla Scala, Milano 2012-2013;
- Ballettakademie Wiener Staatsoper 2014; on course
- Scuola del teatro dell’Opera di Roma 2012-2014; on course
- Azerbaijan State Opera and Ballet Theatre;
- Tanecni Konzervator and Bohemia Ballet, Prague 2014; on course
- Czech National Ballet Ballet, Prague 2014; on course
- Azerbaijan State Dance Ensemble;
- 16. Royal Danish Ballet school 2014;
- 17. JKO School of American Ballet Theatre 2014;
- 18. Ballettschule des Hamburg Ballett 2014;
- 19. Bolshoi Ballet Academy, Moscow 2014;
- 20. Dresden Semperoper Ballett 2015;
- 21. Sao Paulo Companhia de Danca 2015;
- 22. Companhia Nacional de Bailado, Lisboa 2015;
SUBSCRIBE NOW SO YOU DON’T GET LOST IN THE WEB
- Best Photos from PP Communities
- GIF Photos
- Members & Photographers
- Members Walls
- My Account
- Photo Contests
- Photographer Profile
- Photography Interviews
- Photography Websites listing directory
- Photos Gallery
- Popular Photo
- POPULAR PHOTO MAGAZINE
- Popular Photo News
- Popular Photo on Pinterest